Tuesday, April 27, 2021

How Can I Keep From Singing: Episode 5



While Isaacs Watts ushered in a new era of English hymn singing, the Wesley brothers, John and Charles, greatly expanded upon its usage in 18th Century England. While remaining Anglican priests all of their lives, their “Methodist” movement none-the-less had far ranging impacts on church and social reform, leading ultimately to a separate Methodist Church (in all its iterations).
Hymn singing was critical to the movement’s success as Charles Wesley dwarfed Watt’s 600 hymns be ten-fold – at least 6,500 total if not including some 2,500 additional poems that might be suitable for singing. 
John Wesley (1703-1791) was the principal organizer, leader, preacher, whose role in hymns was primarily as editor, compiler, and promoter. 
Charles Wesley (1707-1788) also preached and organized, but became known as the greatest hymn writer of the movement, and arguably, ever.
We will look at two hymns in the first episode on Wesleyan hymnody:
Hark, How all the Welkin Rings
Charles Wesley, 1739
UMH 240, but significantly altered and reduced
1. Hark, how all the welkin rings,
"Glory to the King of kings;
peace on earth, and mercy mild,
God and sinners reconciled!"
2. Joyful, all ye nations, rise,
join the triumph of the skies;
universal nature say,
"Christ the Lord is born today!"
3. Christ, by highest Heaven adored,
Christ, the everlasting Lord:
late in time behold him come,
offspring of a Virgin's womb!
4.Veiled in flesh, the Godhead see,
hail the incarnate Deity!
pleased as man with men to appear,
Jesus, our Emmanuel here!
5. Hail, the heavenly Prince of Peace,
Hail, the Sun of Righteousness!
Light and life to all he brings,
risen with healing in his wings.
6. Mild he lays his glory by,
born that man no more may die;
born to raise the sons of earth;
born to give them second birth.
7.Come, Desire of nations, come,
fix in us thy humble home;
rise, the woman's conquering Seed,
bruise in us the serpent's head.
8.Now display thy saving power,
ruined nature now restore;
now in mystic union join
thine to ours, and ours to thine.
9.Adam's likeness, Lord, efface,
Stamp thy image in its place.
Second Adam from above,
Reinstate us in thy love.
10.Let us thee, though lost, regain,
Thee, the life, the inner man:
O, to all thyself impart,
Formed in each believing heart.
Jesus, Lover of My Soul
Charles Wesley, 1740
UMH 479
1.Jesus, lover of my soul,
Let me to Thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll,
While the tempest still is high.
Hide me, O my Savior, hide,
Till the storm of life is past;
Safe into the haven guide;
O receive my soul at last.
2. Other refuge have I none,
Hangs my helpless soul on Thee;
Leave, ah! leave me not alone,
Still support and comfort me.
All my trust on Thee is stayed,
All my help from Thee I bring;
Cover my defenseless head
With the shadow of Thy wing.
(this stanza not included in our hymnal)
Wilt Thou not regard my call?
Wilt Thou not accept my prayer?
Lo! I sink, I faint, I fall—
Lo! on Thee I cast my care;
Reach me out Thy gracious hand!
While I of Thy strength receive,
Hoping against hope I stand,
Dying, and behold, I live.
3. Thou, O Christ, art all I want,
More than all in Thee I find;
Raise the fallen, cheer the faint,
Heal the sick, and lead the blind.
Just and holy is Thy name,
I am all unrighteousness;
False and full of sin I am;
Thou art full of truth and grace.
4. Plenteous grace with Thee is found,
Grace to cover all my sin;
Let the healing streams abound;
Make and keep me pure within.
Thou of life the fountain art,
Freely let me take of Thee;
Spring Thou up within my heart;
Rise to all eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet