Tuesday, June 1, 2021

How Can I Keep From Singing: Episode 12

 


How Can I Keep from Singing?
Episode XII - My life flows on in endless song...

We began this journey considering the ideas of singing and why this act is so consequential to our individual and corporate faith, and its integral nature to worship.  In our final episode, what are our concluding thoughts and summations?  What have we learned along the way?  Any new favorite hymns or eras of hymns?  What encouragements might we offer?

And, we’ll take a final look at our titular hymn, How Can I Keep from Singing:

1 My life flows on in endless song,
above earth’s lamentation.
I hear the sweet, though far-off hymn
that hails a new creation.

Refrain:
No storm can shake my inmost calm
while to that Rock I’m clinging.
Since Love is lord of heav’n and earth,
how can I keep from singing?

2 Through all the tumult and the strife,
I hear that music ringing.
It finds an echo in my soul.
How can I keep from singing? [Refrain]

3 What though my joys and comforts die,
I know my Savior liveth.
What though the darkness gather round?
Songs in the night he giveth. [Refrain]

4 The peace of Christ makes fresh my heart,
a fountain ever springing!
All things are mine since I am his!
How can I keep from singing? [Refrain]

------------
Alternate and/or additional stanzas:

When tyrants tremble, sick with fear,
And hear their death-knell ringing,
When friends rejoice both far and near,
How can I keep from singing?
In prison cell and dungeon vile,
Our thoughts to them are winging;
When friends by shame are undefiled,
How can I keep from singing?

-------------

I lift mine eyes; the cloud grows thin;
I see the blue above it;
And day by day this pathway smoothes
Since first I learned to love it:
The peace of Christ makes fresh my heart,
A fountain ever springing:
All things are mine since I am His—
How can I keep from singing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet