Friday, December 31, 2010

Puzzles

I love puzzles. I love sitting down at a card table, spreading out all of the pieces, figuring out a game plan, and seeing many little pieces fall into place.

My game plan is simple... Border first...always. I will find every single border piece and put together each edge of the puzzle before anything else. Then I try to group together pieces that are similar, and work on one area of the puzzle at a time. It's a methodical process, one that can take days, but for me, it is relaxing and contemplative.

For my birthday and Christmas, my dad and stepmother sent me two 500-piece puzzles -- one of Mabry Mill in the springtime and one of a snow-covered Mabry Mill. Mabry Mill is very special to our family. It is located on the Blue Ridge Parkway, outside of Stuart, Virginia, where my grandparents lived. I have been there more times than I can count, and some of the fondest memories of my childhood are from this special place. (Oh the pancakes...!!)

I began working on the snow-covered Mabry Mill on Christmas Day. While the boys were enthusiastically playing their new video games, this puzzle brought me serenity and quiet. After the first day, only the border was complete, but I was satisfied with the progress and thankful for the distraction.

During this last week, the puzzle has brought me purpose and enjoyment in an otherwise uneventful series of days. It has given me somewhat of a goal, as I knew it should be completed before New Years so that we could have our meal at the dinner table! Today is, of course, New Years Eve, and as I stood over the puzzle this morning with my cup of coffee, I almost decided to pack up the puzzle before it was finished. I was frustrated with it and ready to give up.

This is when I realized that the puzzle suddenly had become a metaphor for my life. I have been struggling to find a purpose. Now that we have moved, set up the house, and settled in...I am left with no purpose. I have been trying to fill my days with my Living Waters and Haiti work, but nothing compares to the 24/7 job of full-time youth ministry. Just as with the puzzle, I have grown frustrated and anxious, even though I know there is a trip to Haiti coming up and seminary classes will be starting soon. While I should be enjoying this time of quiet and contentment, I have been worrying over the uncertainty that lies ahead.

Thus, today I am thankful for a puzzle. This one little thing brought me perspective, joy and contentment. As a new year is upon us, I know that God will continue to bless me with the little things and life will begin to make sense. I will simply need to persevere and put the blessings together...just one puzzle piece at a time.



Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
~Philippians 4:6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet