Thursday, June 11, 2020

These are People I Love: Romania

 

Have you met my friend, Stefania Tarasut?

Read Stefania's testimony here:

I was born in Romania in 1979. My family immigrated to the United States in 1990 after the revolution. When communism fell, the borders were opened and my mom was quick to get us out before anything changed. Communism fell in December of 1989 and we were on a plane for Portland, Oregon in May of 1990. 
We weren’t churchgoers, but because my parents needed a community, we joined the Romanian church. When I was a junior in High School, I had a friend who was fifteen years old. She went to a summer retreat and fainted in the shower. She drowned in a couple of inches of water. At her funeral, I was able to encounter Christ through the peace and calm that surrounded her family. I wanted what they had and understood that it was God’s love that allowed for that. I surrendered my life to Christ soon after that.
As soon as I gave my life to Christ, I understood that God had called me to be a pastor, but Romanian women don’t become pastors so I tried and failed many things until I finally worked up the courage to embrace my calling my JR year of college.  I had resolved in my heart that I would be a children’s pastor, but God had other plans. I finished my undergrad work, followed by my MDiv at George Fox University. After serving as a children’s pastor for a few years, I became a youth pastor and today I serve as the English Ministry pastor at Eden Presbyterian Church, which is a first generation Korean church.  I’ve been serving at the church for about 12 years.
A couple of years ago, my life took a completely different turn. I started working on my DMin at George Fox University. This program opened my eyes to a world that I could have never imagined.  Through a strange turn of events I had the opportunity to go back to Romania. Through that trip and a few more experiences I understood that God was calling me back to serve Romania. Never in my life did I think that I would ever go back to Romania, but here I am, 25 years after my family left, God has called me to go back and minister to my people. It is such a strange and fantastic opportunity. 
So here I am today. I have over twelve years of intercultural experience under my belt, I’m half way done with my Doctor of Ministry, and ready to close one chapter and begin another.

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet