Sunday, December 4, 2011

Birthdays

Remember Charles Dickens' book, A Tale of Two Cities? The best line, and most quoted, of the book is "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." In looking back at the last week, it has been the best of times, the best of times!

So how about a top ten list of the best of times, the best of times?

In the spirit of David Letterman, the following are the top ten reasons this birthday was THE best birthday week:

10) By divine intervention, I was able to finish a week's worth of school in two days in order to relax and celebrate the rest of the week!

9) Thankfully, I have flexibility in my work schedule to spend quality time with friends and family who joined me in celebration!

8) UNC put on a GREAT show against Kentucky, despite ultimately losing. As ESPN tweeted after the game, "Dear UNC & Kentucky, can we do this again in March?" Yes, please...as long as UNC wins.

7) Tim Tebow led the Denver Broncos to another miraculous win with fourth quarter heroics. I love this epic Tebow quote, "I dealt with the uncertainty the way that I've always tried to: I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future. That's what gives me hope and peace and it is what I lean on."

6) One of my favorite families in Virginia, the Blocks, sent an awesome Hoops & YoYo card to make me laugh and included a beautiful family picture to make me miss them even more.

5) My best friend, Jay, sent me a fantastic card. (Hyperboles are the best thing EVER!)

4) I received 213 birthday wishes on Facebook, another 12 shout-outs on Twitter and one blog, and numerous phone calls from dear friends across the world. How incredibly blessed I feel to have so much love surrounding me. Wow.

3) Michael is finally completely moved in to our house!

2) Following this exciting week, the house emptied out with the boys going on a road trip, and I have been showered with quiet and relaxation!

1) At a quarter to midnight before my birthday, I was standing in front of the Bellagio fountains while Andrea Bocelli's Time To Say Goodbye choreographed the dancing water bursting to the sky. As my older son Clint said, I got to celebrate my birthday in Vegas! Wow.

In fact, I could probably make a top twenty list of things I am thankful for this birthday week. Ultimately, the thanksgiving comes in the form of great friends, a great family, and the opportunity to celebrate another year of life. Not a minute goes by I am not thankful for all of the blessings bestowed upon my life. Often I sit back, shake my head, and wonder how I got so lucky?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet