Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Haiti Trip, June 2012 - Day 6

Are there adequate words to describe this?
Prayer Partners of the Day - Mom, Maple Springs UMC, & Bill Reed

With Pere Colbert Estil
Today was a day I hope to remember the rest of my life.

When one of the fellas came in to wake me at 5:45, I was tempted to turn over and sleep in... However, since I was asked to give the message this morning, I drug myself out of bed! Pere Colbert and I met in the back of the church at 6:45. His seminary student dressed me in a robe and fastened a rope around my waist... It was quite fancy! And warm! We processed in with the choir and the cross...your typical 2-hour Episcopalian service!

When it came time to deliver the Word, only a few butterflies were in my stomach. Surpris translated for me, and the Spirit surrounded us. My heart was overwhelmed with peace and happiness. Pere Colbert allowed me to serve communion with him, which was such an honor. We almost ran out of wafers with so many parishioners coming forward!

Pere Colbert Estil dedicating the solar-water system.


The Sunday was also a special Sunday, honoring the women of the church. It was a female-only choir and how fortuitous to have a female preacher! It was also "Children of the King" Sunday. The children sang a special song, and then one-by-one they came forward to be anointed with oil. Pere Colbert asked me to be a part of this ceremony, and this was a most special, meaningful moment of my life, something there are almost no words to describe. The faces of each of the small children were precious, as I put the sign of the cross on their foreheads with oil. Having no idea what I was supposed to say to each child in Creole, it seemed appropriate to say, "You are a child of God, and God loves you very much."

Children of the King Sunday
Following church, we processed across the street with the congregation behind us to dedicate the new solar-powered water system. The community was so excited, and the team honored the individuals who had attended the hygiene classes and learned to operate the system. While it was short and sweet, the beauty and the magnificence of God surrounded the crowd. When I say there are few words to adequately describe the feeling of joy and peace engulfing my heart, no words have ever been truer.

The rest of the day was relaxing, as we marveled at our work, tweaked a few leaks and scratches, and met with the building architect and the priest to tie up loose ends. Dare I say, many of us took a treasured Sunday afternoon nap?!

Tomorrow we head to Port-Au-Prince, and as with any project, when the work is complete, I am ready to go home! The hospitality from our hosts has been abundant, and the fellowship amongst the team has been delightful and encouraging. What a rewarding week this has been... Though I say it often, how lucky am I?

A couple of great pictures with great men!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet