Thursday, July 23, 2020

CONVERSATIONS ABOUT JESUS #15: Jesus Calms the Storms of Our Lives


·  What are you afraid of?! When were you most scared in your life?

Two stories come to mind:

· The disciples were on a ship in the Sea of Galilee when a great storm arose. Jesus was asleep in the back of the boat. The apostles fearfully came and awoke the Lord saying, “Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?” Christ arose and rebuked the storm saying, “Peace be still.” His reply to the apostles was, “Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?” (Mark 4:35-41)

· On another occasion the apostle Peter saw Jesus walking on troubled waters. 

Read Matthew 14:22-33.

·  Have you ever felt beyond Jesus’s reach?·  In the midst of fear, what did your perspective of God look like?

When we take our focus off Jesus, we begin to fear. When I focus too much on the wind and waves of fears and anxiety, I feel more unsteady and begin to feel as if I’m sinking. When I put my focus and center back on Jesus Christ, and trust Him, I don’t need to fear the “storms” because I’ll get through them with His help. He calms my personal inward storms.

Sometimes I feel like Peter. When I keep my focus on Jesus Christ and hope in Him, things are more manageable. When I start paying too much attention to fears in or around me or too much on worries, the future, the past, etc., there is more fear and uneasiness. 

Remembering to keep my focus on the Lord and His power and redeeming grace and is so 
important for internal peace – peace that helps calm the internal storms and uneasiness.

·  The world needs a fearless church filled with fearless disciples. Is your fear holding you back from doing God’s will?

With Jesus, we can face our fears. Jesus is present in every circumstance. No matter where we are, or what we are doing. We are called to face our fears with the faith that God is our refuge.

Prescription for anxiety from Max Lucado & the Apostle Paul, based on Philippians 4:4-9:
“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”

C – Celebrate Christ’s Goodness
A – Ask Christ for help – be specific
L – Leave your concerns with Christ
M – Meditate on good things



Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet