Thursday, July 23, 2020

Conversations About Jesus #4: Maundy Thursday


A few things for you to think about in preparation for the service...

Jesus loved gathering his friends for a meal!

Why are gathering for meals so important?

Why do the best conversations always seem to happen around the dinner table?

Let’s look at a few meals in the Bible! Jesus seemed to love a meal!

Jesus fed the 5000.
Matthew 14:13-21

Jesus heals Peter’s MIL
Mark 1:29-31

Mary & Martha
Luke 10:38-42

Jesus After the Resurrection
John 21:1-14

But the meal time we remember most, is the time when Jesus celebrated the Passover with his 12 Disciples. This was something he came to Jerusalem to do every year.

REMEMBER - The Hebrew word for remember occurs again and again. It requires an intense focus to allow the memory to shape you as you think on in, as you reflect on it.

Read Luke 22:7-22

So now I want you to look down at your lunch. It’s not the bread and juice in which we are accustomed to taking for communion. But remember, this is a meal to remember. This day, Maundy Thursday, we are called to remember… Remember how much Jesus loves you. Remember what He has done for you. Take time to remember…. Reflect and remember what Jesus has done for you…

“My Jesus, I believe that you are spiritually present in the sacrament of Holy Communion. I love you above all things, and long for you in my soul. Since I cannot receive you now together with my faith community, I ask you to come spiritually into my heart. I welcome you and embrace you; I unite myself entirely to you. Let nothing ever separate me from you or you from me. Amen.”

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet