Saturday, January 21, 2012

Haiti Journal Day #5 - January 21

The hiking group to Nicolas


Prayer Partners of the Day - Barb Black & Barbara Shaffer

The road to Nicolas
This is the day the Lord has made! Let us rejoice and be glad in it!

The day started early with no water in our shower... This is normally not a shock, but when paying for rooms at a hotel, one comes to expect such luxuries. Finally the problem was fixed, life returned to normal, and off to breakfast we went. The school was, of course, very empty, as it is Saturday, and the final piece to the project was started. Meanwhile, several of us went on an adventure to the community of Nicolas to complete a survey. We had tried to get there all week, but had not been able to. A man on a motorcycle met us in town, and we followed him just outside of town to a dirt road. (Pictures will come later!) As we went down the bumpy dirt road, suddenly we came to a halt with rocks piled in the middle of the road. It was impassable. The man on the motorcycle, who happened to be the principal of the school we were going to survey, told us we could just walk a little way. And so, we set off on foot. After thirty minutes of sweating and enjoying te beautiful scenery, the principle turned back and said, "See the building on the hill? That's it!" That building looked to be approximately five miles away, to which I quickly said, "I've seen enough! Since you don't have a well yet, I can tell from here you'd be a good fit for solar, but call me when you get the well dug and I'll come back!" We trekked back to the KIA and made our way back to the school.

With my cuddle buddy!
The fuse and breaker were replaced and fixed, the clean water was circulating, and our job was complete. Valdes, as always, led an intensive operator training, and then we had a beautiful, Spirit-filled dedication service. A little girl plopped herself on my lap, and I was in Heaven. The song, "Let Me Be Your Servant" has the most meaningful, humbling words -- pray that I may have the grace to let me be your servant too. How easy it is to serve others, but how hard it is to let others serve me. Though I try, I often fail. As a friend explained to me, I could be taking a blessing away from someone else... Ponder on that...

Tomorrow we wake early! It'll be time to go to Blanket and then say goodbye to my friends from Herndon, VA. While it will be a melancholy time, the peace and quiet of the monastery will be awaiting me, and my three amigo pals arrive Wednesday!

As always, thank you, thank you to our amazing prayer partners who sustain us and fill us with peace and joy! Thank you Barbara & Barb!

Peace be with you this night and every night. Good night from Mirebalais, Haiti!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet