Thursday, January 26, 2012

Haiti Journal Day #9 - January 25

Prayer Partner of the Day - Sean Devolites & Victoria Bole


Today, I left Haiti many days earlier than anticipated. I struggled with leaving, knowing I would regain my strength soon, but also knowing health comes quicker and easier when in your own home and receiving the best TLC from your family. While the Brother at St. Therese monastery in Palmiste A Vin were giving me great care, it was time to come back home.

My dear brother, Ancy, picked me up very early this morning and the three hour drive to the Port Au Prince airport was long and bumpy. He gave me a big hug and sent me on my way, saying, "Feel better soon, sister. Haiti needs you!" That's why I go. That's why I continue to go back. And that's why it pains me to leave. Though I am weak, He is strong, and He will work through Bob and Chuck to complete the tasks at hand. That I am sure of!

After going thru the multiple checkpoints and pat downs, I found a cozy spot upstairs in the "VIP" lounge. I kept thinking I heard them calling my name from the counter, but I was too comfortable to get up and see. Finally when the plane was ready to board, they did indeed call my name, and it is always a happy day when the airline attendant says, "Here is your complementary upgrade to business class." I happily took the ticket and boarded.

Folks throughout the day kept looking at me funny, though I had no idea why. When I finally went to the bathroom on the plane, I discovered my face was completely covered in red splotches! Apparently something took serious bites out of me during the night. No amount of make-up would cover it. Thus, I looked like a character from "Contagion". It's a wonder they let me board the plane!

When arriving in Miami, I received extraordinary news... Read the next blog post for the update!!

And so, my latest trip to Haiti has come to a close, as I now sit comfortably on my couch awaiting an appointment with the doctor. We have to make sure I really didn't have cholera!

Thank you again for joining me on this incredible journey. Your prayers, your support, and your affirmation mean more than words will ever describe.

Join us again in Haiti... Coming to you February 20!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet