Monday, January 23, 2012

Haiti Journal Day #6 - January 22

The HUMC Group with our Haitian Family

Prayer Partner of the Day - Mom

Ancy preaching, Ashley translating into English :)
The team was up and at it early, as we had a date without favorite church in Blanket. We loaded up the Kia with the suitcases and off we drove down the mountain, over the mountain, around the mountain and up another mountain. It truly is a magnificent country of mountains beyond mountains.

The congregation was so excited to see us, and Pastor Evens was as kind and warm as ever. Sean and I have been given the task of delivering the message during worship. Ancy, of course, did a beautiful, exuberant job of translating it for the people. The service was filled with the genuine love of Christ and the Spirit engulfed the room. Fedo led the choir singing Agnus Dei and two other songs. It amazed me that he takes the time to teach the choir to sing the words in Creole & English. This is what real, passionate worship is. So wonderful.

After picnicking at Blanket while the fellas tweaked the water/solar system, we took off for Port Au Prince. It was such a bittersweet time, as I knew it was time to say goodbye to the fantastic group from Herndon UMC, but the incredible brothers at St Therese monastery were awaiting me. This HUMC group means so much to me. Sure they pick on me and say I call everyone my best friend, but each of them holds such a special place in my heart. It's hard to describe how much they mean to me, especially now that they've committed to this country and to this project that is so near and dear to my heart.

Three Preachers
Once the group was checked into the guest house, and we had a tearful goodbye, Ancy, Valdes and I left. I believe I slept most of the way to Ancy's house. Hans & Kerry came running outside to greet their "Papi!!" Upon seeing their jubilation, all of the melancholy feelings vanished. Hans was particularly excited to receive the video games I had brought him!

The arrival at my second home was perfect. Ignace greeted us at the gate, and immediately we could see improvements to the grounds. Buildings had been finished, additions made, and the front store was up & running. In fact, I saw much of this progress north of Port Au Prince. How significant a change it is from this time last year.

Duyon had set out dinner for me, which I ate as if I hadn't had a real meal in days. Olizard arrived in his new car a little later, and we had a very happy reunion. The brothers here are simply the salt of the earth. Hard workers, kind hearts, and a faith matching none other. It is absolutely something to strive to model in my own life.

And so, with heavy eyelids, I bid you farewell. It's been a big day. Tearful goodbyes, warm embraces and back in my old room. Again, many thanks to my mom and her church for holding me in prayer. I could feel the encouragement.

A Beautiful Family Photo
Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet