Wednesday, August 10, 2011

August Haiti Trip - Day #2 - Tuesday, August 2

Prayer Partners of the Day - Bob McCoy & Sarah Anderson

It was a rough night's sleep, as I was worried Ancy and I would oversleep and be late to the airport! We were off by 5:15am, excited to see Kendall & co and to pick up my bags. They'll be there, right?

Without said luggage, Claudia nicely lent me a pair of undies to wear for the day! Nothing like a new pair, just to feel clean! Our first stop down the mountain was at Ancy's house. We visited with Lorna, Hans & Kerry for a bit. They are such a wonderful family.

At the airport, we met up with Ancy's cousin. I was able to go inside baggage claim, look through the baggage room, and go through the bags that were coming in from the new flight. With it being Kendall's first time in Haiti, I was so happy to be able to meet her inside the airport and usher them through the chaos. Unfortunately, my bags were not there. They assured me they'd be on the next flight.

Ancy thought it best to stay in Port Au Prince, and off we went to Petitionville to look for Hans a video game. Did you know they have a Radio Shack in Haiti? This little suburb was where the "rich folk" live! It was like entering a new world. Back to the airport we went... Still no bag. Everyone was incredibly helpful and apologetic, which kept me from losing my cool and going completely insane. What's a week in Haiti without clean clothes? No big deal, right? We'll just go by the WalMart on the way back up the mountain :)

We stopped back by the monastery on the way back up the mountain. Internet check and bathroom stop! We also stopped in Trouin, the site of solar/water installation site #2. Our team was unable to make it down to the site today because we had the KIA in PAP all day. We'll start work there tomorrow. Back in Cheridant, we were warmly welcomed home by the team. Lesedi, Kendall's daughter, is thankfully my size, and opened up her bag to me. Everyone has donated a pair of undies for the week... I'm so thankful for their extra clothes!

Hurricane Emily is on her way... This should be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet