Wednesday, August 10, 2011

August Haiti Trip - Day #1 - Monday, August 1

Prayer Partner of the Day - Becky Field-Ross

What a day. I don't even have the words to describe it!

Meeting the team at the airport was so exciting! We were pumped! We were ready! We were anxious to get to Haiti and start working! However, three of our team members were delayed and they called to say they wouldn't be in Haiti till the next day. The flight down was uneventful, though my seat mate was quite the chatty "cathy!" Always making friends on the plane rides to and from Haiti...

Roody Joseph's plant on the main road in Leogane.
When we arrived in Port-Au-Prince, we got off the plane, rode the bus to the terminal, went through customs, and began the process of finding our luggage amidst the chaos. Nothing out of the ordinary... until everyone had their bags...except me. We looked until we could look no more. Nothing. Thus, I filed a claim with the baggage folks, and we went on our way. Not to worry, it'll show up tomorrow, and since I'll be with Ancy picking up our three delayed team members, all will work out perfectly.

We stopped along the way in Leogane to visit with Roody Joseph and his prominent solar/water system on the main road. There was a medical team staying with Roody, and one of the guys just happened to know Chris. They were old high school classmates. What a small, small world. Afterward, we started up the mountain. It was a bit weird not stopping at the monastery, as that has been my home in Haiti for most of this year.

The building is lit up now by this outside light...powered by
the new solar panels!
We arrived in Cheridant, just before it got too dark. The building was lit up, as our solar system had already been delivered by Green Energy. Mannes and Salien, along with many others, were there to greet us. As always, it's just like coming home! We settled in, had dinner, and then Ancy & I decided to drive back down the mountain and spend the night at the monastery to knock an hour off our drive to the airport the next morning. Olizard, Ignace & Sonie happily greeted us. It was so good to see them, and my room had not changed a bit! Even my ear plugs were still on the ledge! My bed, my belongings, everything was as I had left it. Talk about having a second home!

Tomorrow will be an early morning. Ancy & I will need to leave by 5:00am to get to the airport on time to pick up Kendall & the kids...and my luggage!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet