Wednesday, August 10, 2011

August Haiti Trip - Day #4 - Thursday, August 4

A Five-Gallon Water Bottle with Clean Water
sitting atop the altar in the Cheridant Church.


Prayer Partner of the Day - Sean Devolites

This morning at 4:00am I woke up shivering! I thought the lukewarm shower would warm me up -- it was FREEZING! And now I've been cold all day long. HELLO! It's August in HAITI! What is going on here?

We woke up thinking the hurricane had passed during the night with the big winds and rain. However, around 9:30am, we received word that those were only outer bands and Emily had stalled off the coast. We spent the day with winds and rain, and messages came in all day long saying she was "on her way." Tonight, we're still awaiting the "rough" part. They keep saying 8:00pm.

Amos & Lesly teaching in Trouin.
The two education classes went extremely well today. Two students, Amos & Lesly, came from Trouin to Cheridant to sit in for the morning class. Then they taught the afternoon class in Trouin. It was perfect!

The biggest joy of the day... I was walking back from the water building in Cheridant, and as I looked up toward the volunteer house, I see Pastor Evens from Blanket walking toward me! It was a great surprise! I had not expected to see him at all, as Blanket is VERY far from where we were located. He sat with me for the health class in Cheridant, had lunch with us, and rode down to Trouin with our group. It was SO good to see him. Great news about our goats.... Leo and Ashley have both given birth to two healthy, happy baby goats! The Blanket church is taking very good care of them! Ancy & Sam are apparently very proud dads! :)

Our Haitian family is doing well, but clearly they are worried about their families and the storm. Ancy has been nervously pacing and continues to call Lorna and the boys. Valdes and Charles have been riding back to Leogane everyday after our work is complete for the day. Salien is staying with us in Cheridant. He told us today that his sister was killed in Port-Au-Prince last week. A gun fight broke out between the police and gang members, and a stray bullet came thru her house and struck her. I'm glad we could be here with Salien this week, as we are his second family.

Father Michaud brought the Scripture for Sunday. It's Matthew's story of Jesus walking on water. I went with the theme, "You Just Have To Believe." It's coming together nicely, as the Spirit is inspiring me quickly!

I'm so thankful for this wonderful group of people to serve alongside. At one point today, I had on Linda's pants, Lesedi's shirt, Jim's shirt, Steve's jacket, and Claudia's socks. (Can you tell I was COLD!?) I couldn't make it thru this trip without them.

Still awaiting Emily... What will she bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet