Friday, August 26, 2011

Haiti Sermonette - "You Just Have To Believe"

Many of you have asked to hear or read the sermonette I gave in Trouin, Haiti during my last visit. It's really nothing special, but Ancy, my Haitian brother, translated and preached it with enthusiasm and vigor! As he said, he preached and I translated in English! :) 


Matthew 14:22-33 (NIV)

Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. Later that night, he was there alone, and the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.

Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.

But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”

“Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”

“Come,” he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”

Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “Why did you doubt?” And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”


I get scared so easily. From the smallest of things like spiders to the biggest of things like hurricanes, I get scared. Probably the scariest time in my life, though, was God calling me to be a pastor. He sent me first to Mexico and then to several churches in America. And then He called me to serve in Haiti. I was nervous. I was scared. Haiti was a country I had never visited. Creole was a language I had never spoken or heard. There was food I had never tasted. Everything was new and different. But God was calling me, "Come." He was calling me to Haiti. I just had to believe. I just had to believe He would be with me and He would lead me if I followed.

You've probably had times like this in your life. Times when you haven't understood God's call. Or times when you doubted and lacked faith. Perhaps after the earthquake or when hurricanes brought winds and floods? But God calls us -- and He told Peter -- don't worry, you just have to believe. 

I found comfort in reading this story of Peter and Jesus. Peter is just like us. He's scared. He's nervous. He lacked courage. But he knew if he wanted to walk on water, he had to get out of the boat. This seems to be a challenge from God all through the Bible. God has said so many times - don't be afraid, you just have to believe. Remember Abraham? God promised Abraham He would make him into a great nation. Abraham just had to trust, just had to come, just had to believe. Remember Moses? God called Moses to be the leader of the Israelites. Moses was scared and came up with a million excuses. He did not want to get out of the boat. But God told Moses, you just have to believe. Remember the prophet Jonah? He may have been the most scared! When God called him, he jumped out of the boat and ran in the opposite direction. But God called him back and said trust me, you just have to believe. And now here we see Peter. Jesus said to Peter, COME. You just have to believe. His will catch us... His arms are waiting.

Why? Why is Jesus so willing to catch us? Because He is the great I AM! He is the God of this city. He is the Lord of this nation. He is the light in the darkness. He is the hope to the hopeless. He is the peace to the restless. He is the great I AM. 

When there is a storm, you just have to believe. When there is sickness, you just have to believe. When there is hurting, you just have to believe. He calms the storm. He heals the sick. He comforts the hurting. You just have to believe. 

I took a leap of faith and jumped out of the boat. I came to Haiti for the first time in 2009. I believed God had a purpose for me here. He would use me to spread love, give hugs, and share joy. He would use me to bring clean water and solar power to His children in Haiti. And now I have been to Haiti more times than I can count, installing 12 clean water systems along the way - the newest of which is here in Trouin. Even though I was scared and anxious, I believed. I jumped out of the boat. I just had to believe.

What is the leap of faith God is asking you to take? What boat is He asking you to jump out of? How do you need to let go and COME to Him? 

He's calling us all. Come. Don't be afraid. You just have to believe. 

Ancy preaching, Ashley translating :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet