Friday, November 11, 2011

Thanksgiving Month, Day 10, November 10

Thanksgiving of the Day - Road Trips

Driving across the United States has long been one of my favorite things to do. My first (and most memorable) big road trip was with my grandparents and dad following my sixth grade year. Granny & Papa always had big RV's and this was a 60' Bounder! It was awesome. From Little Rock to the plains of Oklahoma over to the mountains of New Mexico and up through the Rockies of Colorado and Wyoming. We stayed at KOA campgrounds, visited the US Air Force Academy, Yellowstone National Park, Mount Rushmore, the Badlands and Black Hills of South Dakota, and even prepared for a twister in tornado alley of Nebraska and Kansas. At such a young age, it was impressive to see the scope and greatness of God's creation.

Since then, from little road trips (such as my dad & I driving from San Fran to Reno one night) to big road trips (like the move from VA to NV), traveling across this beautiful country and seeing the sights, sounds, and people is an absolute joy of my life.

Today, a friend & I road tripped from Nashville, TN to Fort Smith, AR. While it was only an eight hour drive, we saw the likes of Toad Suck Park, the beautiful Arkansas River, and the leaves just completing their color change on the sides of the roads.

Road Trips. I'll take a car and a good radio station over first class seating on an airplane anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet