Thursday, November 3, 2011

Thanksgiving Month, Day 3 - November 3

Thanksgiving of the Day: Youth Pastors & My "Kids"


If you've been reading the last few days, you know my dear husband had hip surgery on Tuesday. He is feeling remarkably well, though his nights are not as comfortable as his days. Today was his first day at physical therapy. I went along, as I still cannot bear to leave his side! (He's getting a little tired of me...!!)

I took along a school book, simply to keep myself company and catch up on reading; however, after a few minutes, I turned to my phone and read through the Tweets of the Day. A tweet by one of my great pals and youth pastor, Carl Jones, said, "Today is . Take time to let the youth pastors & volunteer youth workers in your life know they're appreciated!" 

Since leaving youth ministry almost a year ago, every day I consider myself more and more blessed to have worked with such amazing students. The kiddos at Pine Hill Friends, ChristChurch Presbyterian & Herndon United Methodist loved on me every day, gave me more joy than words can express, and ultimately shaped my beliefs and strengthened my life as a Christian. They made me want to be a faithful servant and follower of Christ. 

So today, though it was Thank A Youth Worker Day, I simply wanted to remind those wonderful students how much they meant to me. I sent out about a billion and one text messages, and sure enough there were replies....many, many replies. My heart was flooding with joy and love, and my smile could not be wiped off my face. I am abundantly thankful to God for bringing these students into my life and thankful for the kids who I am so very proud of. 

If you know a youth pastor or have ever worked with anyone in ministry, find them today and give them a hug! Encourage them, love them, and lift them up every chance you get! They will do the same for you!

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to return the favor, and tell you- my former wonderful student- how much I appreciate you. I am more than thankful for you, Ashley- I'm blessed by you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carl! Thank YOU for being a great youth pastor...way back when... But more importantly, thank you for being a friend & encourager! I'm lucky to still have you in my life!

    ReplyDelete

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet