Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Cuba Trip, Monday, March 4


Prayer Partner: Carla Barnard

A Covenant Relationship is Born!
Have I mentioned how cold it is? While "cold" may not be the most appropriate word, it is certainly cooler than the advertised 90+ degrees on weather.com! I have been very thankful for pants and my one pullover sweater I happened to wear the day I traveled from Vegas! Last night I had two blankets on my bed and still woke up in a curled ball!

This morning Hector and Tania, our wonderful translators, returned. We split into teams, knowing we only had them for one hour. Tania, Maria & I met to finalize the covenant and answer any logistical questions, while Hector, Alberto & Kary met to discuss technical designs. Pastor Candio, from Banez (who was in the van with us on day one), also stopped by during our chat to say hello!

After lunch, we went out on the town with Alberto & Maria to price supplies and see if we could find 300 gallon tanks and any kind of PVC piping. Interestingly, we found fittings for 1" PVC, but no 1" PVC. Have I mentioned how bad my Spanish is and how much I missed Tania & Hector as we walked around town? :)

With Tania, Maria, Alberto, & Hector
Alberto & Maria invited us to their home for a while to enjoy Cuban coffee and ice cream... (They really are my new best friends!!) And now it is time to wind down and enjoy the last evening with our hosts before packing up to return to the USA. I wonder how many emails, texts, and phone messages I have awaiting me?! Do I even want to know? While we've been certainly cut off from the world, after the first couple of days of withdrawal, it has been wonderfully relaxing and nice. We have truly lived in the moment, enjoyed every minute of the time with our hosts and become immersed in the culture. There has been time for relationship building and we will leave knowing we have made a lasting connection.

And so, I bid you farewell this evening, as Cuba will play China tonight in the World Baseball Classic, and of course, baseball is second only to God in this province!

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet