Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Haiti Trip, Friday, March 15

Prayer Partner of the Day: Bill Reed

What I am about to say is shocking. It's downright crazy! It's unbelievable... Last night... I shivered. In our beautiful palace of a tent, there I laid freezing cold. I threw Arnie the Armadillo at Carrie during the night just to see if she, too, was cold. She was! I watched as the hours passed, and my alarm finally went off to signal it was time for my cold shower.

After a lovely breakfast of mango & pineapple, it was off to work we went! It was a hodge-podge day for me! A little bit of water parts sorting, a bit of cleaning the tanks with Clorox, a bit of "O Taste & See" and singing "Sevi Ak Dlo Sa-a", and a bit of surveying! To see the team all fall into place on their own, and to see the rookies step in as if they had been to Haiti a million times, gave me so much joy and thanksgiving. What a privilege it is to serve alongside those who share the same vision for mission and passion for service and people.

Immediately following a quick lunch, Elizabeth, Sam, Ancy and I packed up to go to Nicholas, the site of the May SUTS Young Adult In-Country Training. Elizabeth shined with her Solar 1 training. We met with the principal of the school, and Marconi, the building contractor. Both were lovely fellows and toured us around the site. I have never been more proud of Elizabeth!

The drive back to Cazale was long, bumpy, and curvy! It seems like it took a lifetime, but perhaps it was because we missed our pals in Cazale. They regaled us with stories of the funeral we missed, and meeting the family of the 99-year old deceased mother of the community. She was well-loved, as she not only cared for her family of 9, but also fed 37 others who came to her gate everyday. She was the Mother of Cazale, and we are the lucky inhabitants of her home this week.

The fellowship of sitting around the dinner table overflowed into devotion time and then into Prestige cheering and story sharing. Indeed God is good, and it is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet