Monday, March 12, 2012

Haiti Journal, February 22, 2012

Signs like these are all over Haiti now.
ALWAYS DRINK TREATED WATER! 
Prayer Partners of the Day - The Hogan Family

Happy Birthday, Ancy! We sang to him maybe 20 times today! Though he's away from his family, I hope he has had a good day with us, his second family. He certainly is the best brother in the world.

Talks with Pere Max Accime 
This morning, waking up in Gonaives, I almost forgot where I was! The roosters were crowing and the dogs were barking, but I simply could not make out my surroundings. I suppose that is the drawback of traveling so much. Silver lining today - the shower was not nearly as cold here as it is at the monastery in Palmiste A Vin!

After a light breakfast of bananas and peanut butter, we were off to Gros Morne. This is about one hour north of Gonaives on an unpaved road. The scenery was absolutely gorgeous, almost making me believe we had left Haiti. Father Leonard Quartorze awaited us at his school and church. The grounds were beautiful and the water building was in top notch shape. Presbytery of the Pines had sponsored this system in 2008, and Father Quartorze and his operators have produced 180,000 gallons of clean water, not to mention the double amount of raw water they give out for purposes other than drinking/cooking/etc. Father 14, as he is affectionately known, showed us around his site and the team from California agreed to upgrade his site later this year to solar power.
Covenant Talks with Pere Leonard Quartorze

His wife, Fifi, fixed us a nice lunch, and while we waited for Ancy to patch up the bad tire, we had a lovely conversation about the possibilities for the area.

The drive back to Arcahaie was long and bumpy. After almost four hours in the Kia, we were ready to jump out, have a Prestige and sleep. My tent from January 2011 was awaiting me outside. I was thankful for this, as the inside of the house was boiling hot with no breeze. The downside is there are a group of dogs behind my tent who really like the sound of their own barks.

And thus ends another wonderful day of traveling and relationship-building in Haiti.

On the road from Gonaives to Gros-Morne.
I loved this picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet