Monday, March 12, 2012

Haiti Journal, March 1, 2012

Pure bliss.
Prayer Partners of the Day - Stephanie Lada & Carla Barnard

You thought I was going to start off by talking about loud dogs, didn't you?? Well, you're right! Those dogs...did I mention they are loud? And they stay right below our window? Okay, that's all.

Pere Alphonse & Rick sealing the
covenant with a handshake.
It was an early morning with a good dose of eggs and coffee for breakfast. On the schedule today was a second visit to Torbeck to see Pere Alphonse. The team from PA sat down with him and two of the community leaders to discuss the covenant. By mid-morning, the covenant was signed and the planning began for another solar-powered clean water system installation.

What does one do to celebrate in Haiti? Go to the beach, of course! On our drive, we stopped by an old prison, that may have even been a fort at one time. Not long after we arrived, a crowd quickly formed around us. Did I mention I get anxious when that happens? Never like to call attention to myself or the group I'm traveling with... Thus, we climbed back in the Kia and headed on down to Jardin Sur Mer, the hotel we stayed at last October. Though I subtly gave many hints to stop back by Cherette in hopes I could see Richard, no one wanted to drive an hour back and forth down a dirt road. Understandable, but a little sad just the same. Thankfully, juice, beer, and a tasty lunch of shrimp cheered me up!

I love Ginny. 
The owner, Bob, picked up his granddaughter, Ginny, from school. Ginny is a precious little girl, about 10 years old, and she remembered me from last fall. As any kid is, she was obsessed with the videos and music on my phone. Thankfully, I had remembered to download new music videos for her to watch! Blake Shelton's Honey Bee makes them laugh everytime! Turns out, Ginny will be moving to Port Au Prince soon to attend a French school. While I am excited for her, I know her grandparents will miss her terribly, as will I when we return for visits.

A well-deserved rest after a two-week whirlwind.
On our drive back to Les Cayes, we again ran into Jocelin & Pierre going in the opposite direction. While I had hoped to spend more time with Joc, he will be in Les Cayes for the weekend, even when we return to Croix Des Bouquets, where he lives. Rochelin and his girlfriend came by again for dinner. It was so good to meet her and to know Rochelin has someone special looking out for him. Ancy dressed up and went out with friends in town from Cheridant tonight. That guy - he knows people everywhere.

And so ends another wonderful day in Haiti! The trip is coming to a close, as tomorrow we will begin our journey back toward the airport! Peace be with you, as we are forever grateful for your unending support and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet