Saturday, March 31, 2012

Haiti Trip #11 - March 27, 2012

Prayer Partners of the Day - Sean Devolites, Josh Hagstrom, & Cassie Miller


After the rat incident, it was hard to sleep, for we both feared we would wake up to a rat in our bed. The room was extraordinarily hot last night, too... But thankfully, there was a beautiful ocean to wake up to, and as with every morning, it was nice to sit by the water and have quiet time to start the day.

Ring around the roseys...
We all fall down!
Father Deravil joined us at breakfast and brought a gift for each team member to show his thanksgiving for the project. It was a beautiful token of appreciation. We visited the site for the team to pack up their tools and belongings. While waiting, many of the school children were hanging around, and many of them gathered around me. There was only one thing to do...and that was to play ring-around-the-roseys! After many minutes, I kept changing directions so as not to get so dizzy! :) The kids loved it, as did I, and we had a blast as we "all fall down!" Such great kids. They're appreciative for the little things, and smothered me with hugs and love before leaving. Priceless moments.

Great job, Kevin!
Before we could get all of the luggage tied on the Kia, we received a call from Blanket! Smoke was coming from the system! We packed up quickly, put on our Supermen capes and headed up the mountain. The team easily fixed the problem. After all, they were seasoned professionals now, working on a total of five projects throughout the week.

It was a HOT ride into town with much traffic. Port-Au-Prince attracts as many cars and pedestrians as possible and navigating town is nearly impossible. Thankfully, we have Ancy, the best driver in Haiti, to ensure our safety. Arriving at Walls International Guest House, I was exhausted from the week's activities. We unloaded, and Pastor Evens dropped by to wish us traveling mercies and express his heartfelt appreciation for making three trips to Blanket this week. Such a sweet man, he is, and what a great friend! We said our goodbyes to Ancy, as well, and it was a bittersweet time for me. This is the first time I have been to Haiti and I don't know when I'll be going back again. It was very hard to say goodbye to my dear brother.

With Bob and Moise
Feeling a bit sad and melancholy, I layed down for a few minutes simply to catch my breath and relax. Not thirty minutes had passed when my roomie came in to tell me there was someone at the gate asking for me. It was a young man named Moise Milord from Love&Hope for Haiti in Pignon. We had corresponded by email a few times, as he was looking for a team to survey his area for a potential solar/clean water system. Moise had traveled just to meet and talk for a bit. I was so honored and humbled by his presence and his love for the mission and community he leads. He is so well-spoken and clearly God has blessed him with a huge heart and an abundance of leadership. I will continue to pray we have a team called to survey and partner with his project.

What a great roomie - Lyla Jane!
Our team debriefed tonight, discussing highlights and successes of the week. As I look back over today, I cannot help but think this may have been one of the best days I have ever had in Haiti. Between the children this morning and Moise this evening, and the team of rookies turned professionals, my heart is overwhelmed with joy and thanksgiving. God has certainly blessed our team and the work we have done. Not six days ago, I thought we were on the brink of disaster due to miscommunication, but now we sit having completed five projects with confidence and excitement. What an amazing journey it has been.

Tomorrow we get up bright & early to begin our travels home...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet