Monday, March 12, 2012

Haiti Journal, February 24, 2012

Sunset after a Spirit-filled day in Haiti.

With my friend and fellow servant, Surpris Cherazard


Prayer Partners of the Day - Becky Memmelaar & Becky Field Ross

Last night, I realized I have slept in six beds on six consecutive nights! Wow! No wonder I slept so good last night.

Today was the day I have been looking forward to all week. The Living Waters For The World Operators Conference begins today. Partners from all across Haiti will be coming for a two-day continuing education training event, and in my mind, it will be a fantastic family reunion! Wil, Chris, Surpris & I spent the morning finalizing plans and greeting early arrivers.

Chris introduced Bertone & Valdes,
LWW In-Country Technicians
My dear friend, Jocelin Calixte, was amongst the first to arrive. He is the Orphan Care Director at Global Orphan Project in Haiti. His father has recently passed away, and I simply could not wait to see him and hug him. He served as a translator for the two-day event, as his English is as good as mine, and of course, his Creole is perfect!

By noon, we had members from Cherette, La Hatte, Jela/Limbe, Blanket, Arcahaie, Gros-Morne, Les Cayes. Bertone and Valdes, our two LWW in-country technicians, were excited and ready to go.

Chris McRae, the director of Solar Under The Sun, and Wil Howie, the director of Living Waters For The World, kicked off with warm greetings. As I stood to speak, I realized just how many of the participants I had shared a meal, worshiped with, and served alongside. My heart flooded with joy, and even a few tears came to my eyes. How lucky I am that God picked me to serve in this capacity, and what a great amount of joy and love it has given me to call these wonderful Haitians family.

My roomies, Anita & Robyn
Pastor Evens Cherenfant, from Blanket, led the group in a beautiful time of worship, and the afternoon's discussions revolved around successes and community building. Problems led way to solutions, and discussion was aplenty.

Jocelin and I led a hygiene education piece. Over the past year, we have realized how our hygiene education class is taught at the time of the water system installation at each site, but rarely do the trained teachers continue teaching the principles of using clean water to the community. With a captive audience of the operators who hand deliver the 5-gallon bottles of water, we took them through a few exercises to stress the importance of using clean water, the effect germs have on our lives, and emphasizing hand-washing to the adults and the children. The country of Haiti, as a whole, seems on board with this practice, as there are now billboards throughout Haiti to stress using clean water ALL the time. This gives me GREAT hope for the future of Haiti.

Truly the Spirit filled the room, and indeed the first day was a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet