Monday, March 12, 2012

Haiti Journal, February 23, 2012

The new Partners In Health hospital in Mirebalais, Haiti


Prayer Partners of the Day - Marcia Manz & Sarah Anderson

Our team has worked much too efficiently the first few days, and now we are left with a free day! Since the California team has never been to Haiti, Ancy and I decided to take them to Mirebalais. It was a long trip over, much longer than I remembered. Perhaps it's simply because we've been in the Kia every single day for long road trips. Yes, that must be it.

Our first stop in Mirebalais was the new Partners In Health hospital. This is a massive construction effort, and it is absolutely beautiful. It will be a training hospital, and among its specialities will be women's care and mental health. One can only imagine the mental health of many of the individuals displaced by the earthquake into tent camps for over two years. This will be an issue to be dealt with for many years to come.

Unfortunately, our next stop was to check in on L'Ecole De Choix, the site for our installation in January 2012, and because of Carnival week, it was closed. I was very sad not to see the teachers and students, but will look forward to this in March when we return. We also stopped by the other LWW/SUTS site in Mirebalais, which was also closed. It seems the whole town has shut down for the celebratory week.

This is why I love Haiti. What a great reunion of friends.
We returned to Arcahaie, with sore bums, and awaited the arrival of Wil, Chris and Surpris. They were meeting us here to carpool to Montrouis. In fact, when I spoke to Surpris earlier in the day to confirm the plans, I began speaking to him in Creole, and he thought I was a Haitian! Guess my accent is getting better! Brother Jean Charles from the monastery in Palmiste A Vin accompanied the fellas, and it was so good to see him.

After Wil and Chris met with Father Irnel to discuss new issues, we sat down for a debriefing on the week thus far and had a bit of a snack. We went over the water surveys completed, and the problem solving that had taken place at the various sites. We almost let time slip up on us and quickly packed up to get on the road to Montrouis so as not to arrive after dark.

Thinking of today, with all of the traveling we have done this week, it is nice to sit on the porch, watch the sun set over the ocean, and enjoy a Prestige. God is so good to have brought us here, and though the work is neverending and at times draining, it is certainly a joy to know we are serving alongside great people and great partners. I realized just a bit ago this is my 10th trip to Haiti. What started off as a one-time adventure has now become my family, my home, and my passion. Praise be to God, and I can only hope that though this is my tenth trip, it is still just the first of many to come.

Prayer partners, Marcia & Sarah - I love you both. Your prayers today were felt immensely!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet