Monday, March 12, 2012

Haiti Journal, February 28, 2012

Cute Kids EVERYWHERE!
Prayer Partners of the Day - Susan Rose & Kendall Cox

There once was a story of dogs. Who barked very loudly. And even though there was a fan blowing and iPods playing, they could still be heard. Yes, they barked and barked and barked and barked... One would think their lungs would grow tired, but alas, they did not. Okay, enough complaining for one day!

We were up and at 'em early this morning! Off to Torbeck we went to meet with Pere Alphonse. His site has been visited in the last year by many groups, but none have signed a covenant to put a system at his site. The group from Bower Hill Community Church in Mount Lebanon, PA came in with an open mind and ready to go. Pere Alphonse had several community leaders awaiting the group and together they sat around a table and discussed options. The group was enthusiastic and welcomed the conversation, and Pere Alphonse sat back to observe.

Following the meeting time, we enjoyed a big meal with the leaders, and a few of us went down the road to the school. The kids were so cute, kindergarten through sixth grade, and I was impressed they actually had outdoor latrines set up AND the kids were using them! Progress everywhere.

Once we arrived back at the Hosanna House, the group had much to discuss and decide. This gave me a perfect opportunity to excuse myself and take a nap! (Perhaps I'm coming down with something?!) When I awakened, two young men from up north had come to meet with the group from PA. They told of a great program they are working on near Gonaives. The men had to leave in order to get back on the road, but it was a good connection to make nonetheless.

Teaching the wonders of the Solar Pathfinder!
I opted to follow the group outside the main gate for a walk around the block... This is much outside my comfort zone, as I prefer to stay in the boundaries of the compound. Ancy did come with us, which made me feel slightly better. On the walk around the block, we ran into two Haitians who now live in Boston. They were just home visiting family. As we continued to round the block, the walk led us to the main road! My anxiety level went through the roof, as the sun was setting and we were four Americans walking on the main road. I have never been so happy to return "home" to the gates of the Hosanna House. My friend, Rochelin Forzene, drove us as we walked in. He had dinner with us, and it was great to catch up.

It is another early night to bed, as this trip is wearing on me more by the day. Two weeks in Haiti... Let's keep the trips to just one week at a time from this point forward! Deal? (Someone hold me to it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet