Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter

He is Risen! He is Risen indeed! Happy Easter!

This was the first time in eight years that I have not been on a church staff for Holy Week. I never thought I would miss it. The month's of preparation, the endless hours in the church building, the extra services... But I did. I missed it. I missed it like crazy. I missed the excitement, the joy, the fellowship of believers. I missed it all.

While I did not make it to a Maundy Thursday or a Good Friday service, due to our revolving door of visitors, I did worship for Easter...twice! The two worship services could not have been more different. One was on Saturday evening, a Sunday overflow service at The Crossing. This is a mega-church in Las Vegas, and its worship is uber-contemporary. There was sensory worship through artwork, lights, videos, and a full band. The preaching, as always, was extraordinary. I am always awe-struck at the number of people coming through their doors to worship. There must have been close to 700 people there, and that was just the first of six Easter worship services? Amazing.

Sunday morning, the entire family joined me at First Presbyterian Church, whose worship was uber-traditional. We walked in to a full orchestra, handbell choir, and singing choir. The music was extraordinary, complete with my favorite Easter hymns, Jesus Christ Has Risen Today, Crown Him With Many Crowns, and the Hallelujah Chorus. The preaching was again extraordinary and inspirational.  While I was happy to be celebrating Easter at a traditional church, I was reminiscent of so many wonderful Easters at ChristChurch Presbyterian in Bellaire.

This called me further and further back into church ministry. Don't get me wrong, I am gung-ho for the Navy, but it will be reserve status until I finish seminary. I am hopeful that a church staff will want to scoop me up in the meantime, even just part time! So that is my prayerful wish, to use my time and talents to serve the people of Las Vegas... If God wants it, of course He'll make it happen! And if not, He'll guide the way, just as He always has.

Thus, today, I am thankful for beautiful Easter worship services, for a wonderful family to celebrate with, and for the quiet that is now surrounding my home. Tonight will truly be a night of "Be Still..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet