Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Thanksgiving Project

Every morning, I go for a light run. It helps me wake up and put the day in perspective. Since moving to Vegas, I've been listening to podcasts as I run. I have yet to find a church home, and so I've downloaded tons of sermons from pastors I love. Today, like every morning, I put on my iPod and took off.

The sermon I listened to today was entitled "Results of Gratitude," which David Bridges preached on February 6. David is the Senior Pastor at Friendswood Friends Church in Friendswood, Texas. He & I often met for coffee when I lived in Houston, and I still consider him a great mentor.  The first sentence out of his mouth was ... "Gratitude opens the door for contentedness and generosity."

How true is that sentence? In essence, that is why I started this blog. It is not enough to live each day going through the motions... We should be thankful for all things. My attitude needed an adjustment this week, and God provided the means. How can I not be thankful? I have an amazing husband, a great family, extraordinary opportunities. I live a great life, thanks to God.

David's sermon provided me great comfort. He listed four things to do every day in order to get into the habit of being thankful. These, of course, are only four suggestions, not conclusive by any means, but I found them helpful:

1 - Thank God before you eat. It doesn't have to be long or sound like a preacher. It can be simple, it can be easy. Don't do it just before dinner, but before you eat anything.

2 - Everyday, write one or two things you are thankful for! Try it for 30 days!

3 - Remember the past. If it's bad right now, we can be thankful for the good times in the past. If it was bad in the past, we can be thankful that times change and God is always with us.

4 - Whenever you're frustrated or angry, stop right there and list two things you are thankful for. It may be hard to do at first, but just give it a shot.

Thus, today, I am thankful for this blog that I can look back upon and see my gratitude each day. There IS something to be thankful for in every second of every day.

Finally, I am thankful for sermon podcasts that remind me to be thankful to the One who gives me strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet