Saturday, April 2, 2011

MEPS, part two

This week in the Adventures of Ashley...

Would you believe that I have yet to unpack my bags from Haiti? Well, I did pull out the dirty clothes and they were washed immediately. But the two bags have not made it out of my garage yet. Perhaps today will be the day. It's been a week of playing "catch-up." There was so much reading and school work to accomplish. I had missed my friends desperately, and phone calls and skype chats took up many hours this week. I am so thankful to be surrounded by so many loving people. Every time I finished a call or chat, I would smile for the following hours. It has been a joy to relive the trip over and over as I recount the highlights and the work we accomplished.

With the school work complete, it was time to figure out what the Navy was going to do with me. I have completed the necessary paperword, my chaplains packet is at the National Board for review this week, and my security clearance has apparently cleared. So...are they going to accept my medical history, or is it time to find a new path? When my recruiter called to say I had to go back to MEPS, my heart sank.  If you have not read the previous post of this wonderful adventure, please do so, as it's a day I will never forget. Before I went in yesterday, I made sure to practice my duck walk...

They asked for me to arrive at noon, and being one to always arrive early, I was there at 11:40am. Turns out that my appointment was moved to 2:00pm, but they just figured it would be good to have me there to wait a couple of hours in the crowded waiting area. At 2:20pm, they called me back. I was in and out in a little under 7 minutes and received a big green check mark on my folder. They passed me...but I still have to return for another "consult" on Monday at 9:30am. Does it ever end? (And believe me, I asked if I should give even more practice to duck walking... They said no.)

There was a silver lining to all of this waiting. One of the physician assistants told me that the astounding doctor I saw during the last visit had received a reprimand from his superiors. I assume that he called someone a "spring chicken" and they complained! I know it is the season of Lent, and it is the time of forgiveness, but I could not help but feel a little vindicated!

And so the story continues... Tune in Monday for the update!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet