Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Expecting the Unexpected

The last two days have brought nothing but the unexpected. After a great day at MEPS on Friday, it was expected that Monday would be a breeze. The green check marks would be abundant and finally I would achieve medical readiness status for the Navy. The final hurdle would be jumped! ...I could not have been more wrong. While I am not ready for the world to know the extent of the damage, let's just say that I have been medically disqualified.

On the way back from Haiti, I told God that if He didn't want me to join the Navy afterall, it would require a huge sign. Monday left me wondering if this was indeed the huge sign? Or was it God's way of saying that life over the past few years has been pretty easy and joyful and it was time I really work for something? I sought the advice of my two spiritual advisers. Each were bewildered but not completely convinced that this was the big sign. Thus, I chose to continue praying, and let the Navy decide my fate with them. Today I will receive a phone call with the next steps...

Yesterday was just as unexpected. I am thankful for friends and prayers that walked John & me through the day. What would we do without the encouraging community of believers that God has provided us? We would certainly be lost and lonely. I am thankful that I will never have to feel those emotions.

So today, I will look for and expect the unexpected...as that seems to be the theme of the week. Tune in tomorrow for today's big surprise...as I am sure there will be one!

2 comments:

  1. Ashley, you guys will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers as you sort all of this out. We know God has a plan, but it sure would be nice to get the occasional "burning bush" so we could be on the same page with Him. I hope Thursday helps bring you smoe clarity. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carl! Putting a smile on today and ready to take on whatever they give me...and hoping that they'll give me something! :) Miss y'all, too! Hugs to Marilyn & Will.

    ReplyDelete

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet