Sunday, March 20, 2011

Haiti Trip ~ Day 15 ~ Sunday, March 20

Prayer Partner of the Day - Isabel Eaddy

After yesterday's shenanigans in Leogane, our team was a bit fearful of what today may bring with the looming presidential elections. At breakfast, we were told that Wyclef Jean was shot in the hand last night at a rally for one of the candidates. This really did not leave us with a good feeling. We went on to worship at St. Charles Church down the road. Thankfully, we did not have to transport "Jesus" this week, and our drive was less than a mile away! (Let me fill you in on that joke... Last Sunday, the three of us took off with Brother Olizard to mass. We had to carry "Jesus" with us... You know, Catholics believe that the bread for communion really is Jesus. Chuck was holding on to "Jesus" in the back seat, as Olizard took us on a Daytona 500 ride through the mountains to get to the church. We were holding onto "Jesus" for dear life!)

Mass was beautiful this morning. Simple and pleasant. With the exception of the Eucharist, it reminded me of a Quaker meeting for worship. Bob gave a speech...in Creole. We applauded him for the courage that neither of us had! Mass only lasted 52 minutes this morning, which is different from the usual 2 to 3 hour service. We came back to the monastery without worry. The street was calm, and peace was encompassing us.

Happy Birthday, Daniel!
This day also marks the birthday of one of the brothers at the monastery. Daniel is the principal of the school here on the grounds, and he is 31 today! My age! There was a big party at lunch. Many of the teachers came, and of course all the brothers were present. Olizard popped two bottles of champagne! Wild parties here at the monastery! Cake and ice cream were served! Music was playing! What a treat indeed!

Today is my first day back to seminary. Thankfully, Brother Olizard let me into his office, fired up the generator, and I have knocked out the first week's assignments for two of my classes. It was providential that I have been studying the book of Acts since arriving in Haiti. The assignments for two of my classes were based on the book of Acts! This works to my advantage...especially since my textbooks are at my home in Vegas!

Olizard popping the champagne!
Though Chuck & Bob have gone out to do a survey for a potential church building, I have stayed back at the monastery. I have done all that I can do with my schoolwork for today, and there might possibly be a nap in my future!

One more thought before I sign off...  Today's prayer partner is a very special young lady. Isabel sent me a text this morning while we were in worship. This text completely lifted our team in prayer, and gave me so much joy and encouragement that I have yet to stop smiling. We will pray specifically for Isabel tonight, as we have for all of our prayer partners. I am constantly reminded of how lucky I am to be surrounded by so many thoughtful, Christlike people. It is true when I say that I could not have sustained this three week mission without the support that each of you have surrounded me with. I cannot thank you enough for coming along on this journey with me.

May this Sabbath be a glorious Sabbath for each of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet