Sunday, October 2, 2011

30 Day Photo Challenge - Day 24

Day 24 - A Picture of Something I Wish I Could Change


I have not been to Africa, and I'd really like to go to Africa. Specifically, I'd like to visit Limuru Town, Kenya. Why, you may ask? That is where my Compassion Sponsor Child, Dennis, lives.

Dennis and I have been family since June 27, 2005. He is a sweet young boy, 12 years old and in 6th grade, and he shares his birthday with my husband, John! Yes, we have two special birthdays to celebrate every July 17th!

Dennis loves to go to church on Sunday mornings and during the week, and he loves to play soccer and ride his bicycle. He helps his grandmother in the house by running errands and cleaning, and occasionally he works with his father.

Dennis lives with his father and grandmother. One of the saddest days in my life was when Compassion wrote to inform me Dennis' mother and two sisters had passed away due to AIDS. It was a very eye-opening, personal experience, and since then I have been even more grateful to be a part of Dennis' life. So...one thing I'd like to change? I'd like to meet Dennis in person and give him a big ol' hug and let him know that across the world, someone is praying for him and loving him every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet