Thursday, October 20, 2011

October Haiti Trip, Day 2

Prayer Partner of the Day - Horstman Family


Because I'm addicted to baseball, I, of course, had to stay up to see the ending of the game last night! Thus, there was little sleep, especially with the worry of oversleeping and missing my flight!
Thus, I was in the lobby of my hotel by 4:45am. The Horstman Family's prayers began working immediately. I met a fellow named Rick at the hotel. We rode the airport shuttle together, went through security, and both of us were upgraded to first class on the plane to Port-Au-Prince. Our flight arrived almost 30 minutes early, and Rick, and a Canadian, Jean Louis, befriended me through the gauntlet of customs, baggage claim and the outdoors. Dear Brother Olizard was not there yet, and thankfully neither were Rick or Jean Louis's rides. They stayed with me, as the last thing I would want to do is be alone outside the Port Au Prince airport! Rick's ride came first, and I made Jean Louis promise he would not leave me, even if his ride came!

The Baby Chicks...
Sure enough, Olizard arrived 20 minutes later...with a truckload of baby chickens. Normally one would put the chickens in the truck bed...but no, Olizard was afraid the sun would be too much for the babies. Ten minutes into our drive through town, the chirping noise of the chicks began to make Olizard crazy! He pulled over and moved them. However, one baby chick jumped out and lodged himself under my seat. He was chirping louder than all of the others combined, which forced us to pull over once again to find him and put him outside. (Oh the life of Haiti!)

Baby Goats roaming the farm!
The drive out of town was uneventful, which is just as we like it. Upon arriving in Leogane, we stopped at the goat and chicken farm to settle the babies. They had a new area all set up for them, complete with feed bins and water coolers, plus a fire to keep them warm. They enjoyed their newfound freedom! Of note, we stopped at the ChouChou mart in Leogane...and in their refrigerator they had Diet Coke, Dr. Pepper, Guiness and Corona! These were things I had never seen in Haiti!

We stopped at the St. Charles Clinic, which has been fully completed. Dr. Blaise was there, who now works Monday through Friday, 8:00am-2:00pm. The water system was up and running perfectly, and today it was manned by a wonderful lady. Apparently Olizard and Bertone are also assigned days to sell water! I love a partner who take pride in their water system!

Brother Olizard & the water
system at St. Charles Clinic
Upon arriving at the monastery, they had opened a new entrance by the road. The buildings are being completely restored and things were almost unrecognizable. However, when walking inside, my room was just has I had left it in August! It was so nice to come HOME!

Sonie and I walked down to the school just as the students were being dismissed. Little Lucy was walking along and sure enough she came running over yelling my name. Oh, Lucy! She walked with us everywhere, and it was so nice to spend time with her! A welcome surprise!

LUCY!
Before dinner, Olizard and I went back into town to the goat & chicken farm to pick up a large amount of eggs to deliver to the community. The never-ending work he does for the community and the people is simply awe-inspiring. Nothing he does is without service and love to the people. He is constantly working to make their lives better. How we can all learn from his example!


All four members of the Horstman Family have been in my thoughts and prayers today, and wouldn't you know, I've heard from each of them by text or email! They have provided prayers, encouraging words, and most of all, lots of love. I am so thankful for this family, as they have been with me every step of the way today. I simply cannot wait for January when Jay will be back in Haiti with me!

Peace be with you on the end of day number one in Haiti!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet