Thursday, October 20, 2011

October Haiti Trip, Day 8

The first drink of clean water from the Cherette solar-powered clean water system!


Prayer Partner of the Day - Becky Field-Ross

What a beautiful dedication we had this morning at Cherette. The pastor, the principal, and the teachers, along with our team, gathered in front of the water building for prayer and praise. We opened with a few words of thanks to our Haitian family for partnering with us in the project, and then Amy led us in a beautiful Call to Worship and Prayer. We recognized the teachers and operators, awarding their official certification, and of course, no dedication is complete without the singing of "Sevi Ak Dlo Sa-a!"

John presenting operator certificates.
One of our men, John, gave a few words of thanks, followed by the pastor. Our time together was peaceful, simplistic and beautiful and spirit-filled. It was, perhaps, one of the best dedication services I had attended. We ended our time by handing out several cups of water and presenting the leaders with the first cups of clean water from their new system.

It was a bittersweet moment, for sure, saying goodbye to those I have come to hold so dearly in my heart. The children of Cherette are so loving and beautiful, and I will hope to see them again soon. Young Richard, perhaps 12 years old, especially tugged at my heart strings. I gave him my yellow Solar Under The Sun bracelet, and I hope he will remember our friendship, as he certainly will be remembered in my heart.

Jerry and I said goodbye to our team on the main road afterwards, and together with Jocelin, Frantzou and Pierre, we set out for Port Au Prince. We stopped at the monastery to pick up a few things for Jerry. Of course, I was thrilled with the opportunity to see Olizard and Sonie and the Brothers again. They are truly my Haitian family, and the monastery is my Haitian Home! It was also so nice to introduce my new friends, Jocelin especially, to my Haitain family.

We even stopped for ice cream a the beloved Total station on the way out of Leogane. By the time we made it to Port Au Prince, there was just enough time to swing by downtown to hug Ancy, who had arrived back in Haiti. Oh I had missed him so much during this trip. It was strange to be in his home country and not spending time with him.

Jumecourt Inn
As we drove to Croix Des Bouquet, we turned up the music on my iPhone. Here were three Haitian men and two Americans worshipping and singing. We drove through the dirty streets of Port-Au-Prince, among the poverty and the millions of people, and Chris Tomlin's words rang out - "Forever God is faithful, forever God is strong, forever God is with us, forever..." It was a moment still in time, hearing those words and seeing the visions outside of our car.

We arrived at Global Orphan Project's Jumecourt Inn, our home for the night. It's been an emotionally & spiritually draining day, and bed time cannot come soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet