Wednesday, October 5, 2011

30 Day Photo Challenge - Day 27

Day 27 - A Picture with a Family Member


This is a picture of my dear friend, Calvin Brumbaugh, who to me is family.

Calvin and I first met in the summer of 1997 at Quaker Lake Camp. I had heard stories for years about the famous Calvin, but had never met him in person. He showed up at Quaker Lake every summer from Ohio to volunteer his time to the camp and the kids he loved.

Calvin was a source of strength and wisdom unlike anyone I had ever met. His actions exuded the love of Christ for all. His words were filled with compassion and strength, and he quoted the Bible with ease. His prayers were powerful and spoke directly to the heart of God. Following the summers with Calvin, he would write letters of encouragement to all of us. He always included a Bible verse on the outside of the envelope, and when I asked him why, he said that he hoped many mail carriers would read it and it would provide hope for them.

My second summer at QLC, Calvin had an accident and his health suffered. He never seemed to recover from the incident, and after a couple of summers, he began staying in Ohio instead of traveling down to North Carolina. We, thankfully, kept in touch, and when John and I were planning our wedding, it was only natural that Calvin be a part of it.  He came down the night before the wedding and gave the most beautiful toast at our rehearsal dinner. During our wedding ceremony, it only seemed right to have him bless our marriage with prayer, as he was more godly than any priest or pastor I had ever met.

Calvin passed away not too long ago, and it was certainly a sad day for all of us who had known him personally. We know God gave him an extra special large set of wings, as he was one of HIS greatest workers. I miss you, Calvin, and cannot wait to see you again!

1 comment:

  1. I never met Calvin, but I have heard many stories. Thanks for sharing your memories, Ashley. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet