Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Royal Wedding


This poster was hanging in our room for years!
For anyone who knows me, you know I have a slight obsession with the Royal Family, particularly Prince William. Dating back to 1998 (or even further), my college roomie, Crystal, and I had a wee bit of a shrine to the young prince. Okay, it was a big shrine! A huge poster of Prince William hung on the wall of our dorm room! (See left...) We also had every magazine that he graced the cover...or was even mentioned.

In the summer of 1999, my obsession hit an all-time high when I had the opportunity to study abroad in the United Kingdom. It was my mission to find the Prince, even if it was just a glimpse. I strolled the streets of London, visited Eton College, where he was in school at the time, and spent days in Windsor. Wherever I went, however, it seems he would show up there the day after I departed!

One day we were in Edinburgh, Scotland, and I was walking the Royal Mile with a couple of pals. There right in front of us, a Rolls Royce pulled up. My heart lept...but it turns out it was just for the Queen. She came walking out of a tea shop in a beautiful yellow dress, gave us a wave, and got into her car. I was mildly disappointed, but the next day, we saw her, Prince Philip, and Prince Charles in all of their royalty, going to a Ceremony for the Order of the Thistle at the Cathedral. There were horses, carriages, royal archers. It was beautiful and regal.

This picture was taken in 1999 in Edinburgh, Scotland. We stood for hours to get this picture!

While I never saw William in person, I continued to collect every magazine cover, watch every television special and read every tabloid. Crystal and I jumped for joy when we heard William and Kate were getting married. Since she and I are both married, too, we figured it was time that he was as happy as we were!

Would you believe I set my alarm for 1:00am Friday morning to celebrate?! This pacific time zone can really be a pain! I was happy as could be, readied my pot of tea, and enjoyed the festivities from the moment Prince Harry and Prince William left their house to the perfect wedding to the TWO kisses on the balcony. Kate was stunning...the dress, her smile, it really seemed like the Modern Fairytale.

Thus, congratulations to Prince William and his dear Kate. We will pray for a long, loving marriage... And eagerly await the next royal wedding!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet