Thursday, January 20, 2011

Haiti Day #2 - January 12, 2011

Thanks of the day: One-Year Anniversary of the Earthquake

Today marked one year since the most devastating natural disaster in Haiti's history. It struck with a magnitude of 7.0mw, destroying nearly everything in Leogane and beyond. One would expect to find a day of mourning; however, I was surrounded in a day of thanksgiving and joy.

We arrived at Blanket this morning! As we came around the corner, we could see the solar panels atop the two story building. It was the most beautiful sight I had ever seen! Pastor Evens Cherenfant greeted us warmly. I was so happy to see my friend, as we had been planning for this day since July 5, 2009 when I first came to do a survey.

Evens was elated, and the operators were ready. Valdes and Salien were eager to begin work, and our team hit the ground running. Tim, Melissa and George entered the water building with Valdes and Salien...and we did not see them again until mid-afternoon. Sally went off to do surveys with Jerry, Tom & Chris. Leonie and Sheri began organizing their class materials. Evens took Jay & me on a walk around Blanket to meet some of the church members. We entered a woman's home, a 10x10 concrete building, and found a newborn baby just waking up from a nap. It was beautiful.

When the afternoon came, several of us went on a hike to see the surrounding areas. I thought we'd be gone for just a little while... Evens and a few of the men took us over a couple of mountains. We saw the community of Lone (which I later referred to as "lonely"). Evens told us that 85% of this village belongs to a voodoo temple. He said he and members of the congregation will come to the area, stand under one of the "evil trees" and preach the gospel of Jesus Christ. Many times, they have been approached by an angry mob...but never once have they been harmed. It was at this moment that I dreamed of having the courage and faithfulness of Pastor Evens. What an amazing man. I am so thankful to call him a friend.

Three hours later, we returned to Blanket...and a huge celebration. Melissa, Tim, George, Valdes and Salien exited the building and said they were finished. Finished for the day and ready to go home? No. They had finished the putting together the system! It was mounted, it was installed, it was ready! (We just needed a pump...that would hopefully arrive at the airport soon.) It was amazing. I have never seen anything like it all of my installation trips. This team...they were truly the "A-Team". Wow.

They deserved showers and dinner, so I sent Tim, Melissa, George and Jay back to Arcahaie to thank them for their hard work. Since the survey team had yet to return, the remaining team members stayed in Blanket. Pastor Evens gathered us at 4:45pm for silent prayer to commemorate the earthquake. You could almost see Valdes and Evens holding their breath as they remembered horrifying events of the last year. We stood in silence for quite some time, and then Pastor Evens prayed for us. I don't know exactly what he said, but it was beautiful, and it was joy filled.

What an amazing day with amazing people. I am so thankful for my family in Haiti, for their warmth and hospitality, and for showing me what it truly means to be a faithful Christian. Blessings abound.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet