Saturday, January 8, 2011

Upward Basketball

Last year, I fulfilled a dream by coaching Upward Basketball. I have always loved playing basketball and watching basketball, and I couldn't wait to bring that passion to a group of kids. Upward is a special program in that all players receive the same amount of playing time, devotions are given at each game and practice, and players of all ability levels are encouraged and affirmed. I was honored to coach nine fifth and sixth grade girls who I affectionately called The Cyclones! It was a great two months of weekly practices and eight Saturday games. While we weren't suppposed to keep track of scores and records...I have a hugely competitive nature and know we ended the season 6-2. We lost to the same team twice, which happened to be coached by a Duke alumnus... It pained me greatly! Coaching was the most rewarding experience, and I miss it this year so much!

Today was the first game day for Upward Basketball at Herndon UMC. I was so excited to be in town for the kick-off! Two of my former youth group members, Joel Hagstrom and Robert Arace, were coaching their very first game at 10:00am. I could not get over Joel's enthusiasm and superior coaching ability! Joel is a senior in high school coaching 1st & 2nd grade boys... It was epic. He is encouraging, positive and the players and parents love and respect him. I was in awe and so thankful to watch him coach and win his first game!

Next at 1:00pm, THE Claire Harris had her season debut! Claire is in third grade and has brand new basketball shoes! She did those shoes proud and was the high scorer and top rebounder on her team!! I was so thankful to watch her play, and catch up with her parents!

The final game I saw today (though there were twelve hours worth of games) starred THE Jenna Hogan! She happens to be the daughter of the aforementioned Duke grad! Jenna and I share an amazing bond and are very similar, especially when it comes to our faith in God! Jenna had an outstanding game and it was great to see how well she has grown as a player!

While watching Jenna's game, I ran into three former "Cyclones" and their parents, who were there watching their younger children play! My heart was filled with joy to see their smiling faces and to hear their kinds words. What an impact one season had on all of us.

The rest of the day was filled with friends and an abundant amount of hugs. It reminds me of the saying, "The miles may separate as time goes on, but the band between friends will remain forever strong." God has blessed me with great friends, most of which live across the country from me now. After today, I know that the connection will always be strong and God will continue to bless me with their friendship for years and years to come.

Thus, I am thankful today for Upward Basketball bringing us all back together under one roof. What a great day it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet