Saturday, January 22, 2011

Sunsets


My dad & I share a love of sunsets. In fact, when we're together, we make it a personal mission to select a perfect spot for watching sunsets. When Dad was living out in California in the summer of 2000, I went out for a few weeks to spend time with them. As always, we searched and searched until finding the right spot. It was at a top of a hill, in a neighborhood...in the Wong's driveway. Now, we didn't know the Wong's, and they didn't know us... But every evening we drove to their house to watch the sunset over San Jose. It was gorgeous, and we always speak fondly of the Wong's.

I have a collage of sunset pictures that hangs in our house. One is from Honduras, two from Key West, a few from South Padre Island, one of NYC with the Statue of Liberty in the background. My favorite is from Haiti...a country with so much poverty, but so rich in sunsets!

No matter where we are, God is there to remind us that He is the beginning and the end, and at the end of each day, he paints us a beautiful picture. Tonight was no exception. Living in Las Vegas, surrounded by mountains and desert, the sun seems bigger. As it set this evening, the sky bled pinks and purples for miles. It was stunning, and the picture did not do it justice. I was nevertheless reminded that with this beauty, God is looking down on us and reminding us that He is to be praised. I am thankful that this reminder comes in the form of a beautiful sunset.

Psalm 113:3
From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the LORD is to be praised.




1 comment:

  1. Beautiful entry. :) Made me miss my dad more than I already do. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet