Thursday, January 20, 2011

Haiti Day #5 - January 15, 2011

Chapel at Montrouis


Thanks of the Day: Family Reunions


Jay, Melissa, Me & Tim
I have never been a big fan of family reunions, mostly because I don't really know my family and they don't really know me. However, today in Montrouis felt like what a family reunion should be!

Jay, Tim & Melissa rode with me to the Operators Conference. Montrouis is located just north of Arcahaie on a beautiful piece of oceanfront property! I joked that I only take my "best friends" on the fun adventures (See yesterday's post... I really will never live this down!)

With my brother, Ancy
When we arrived at the conference, we first saw Ancy!  Sure, it had only been a day since I had last seen him, but I very much missed my Haitian brother. We then ran into Valdes. Again, we were happy to see him and tell him that we filled the clean water tank in Blanket, thanks to his amazing work. We ran into Charles, Valdes's assistant, who doesn't speak a lick of English, but freely gives of hugs and love. Pere Racine, who I had not seen since our installation in March, walked up then. It was so great to see him and receive the good news from his school. Pastor Evens was there with one of his operators, and we shared the news about the clean water! His smile is extraordinary, and you can automatically feel his joy. We ran into Olizard and Bertone, two men I will be working with in March. Around the corner was Michel Paul and two of his operators. It really was a family reunion...a reunion of all those I have come to love and admire in Haiti.

Surpris' Introduction
Surpris was serving as the translator, and when it became my turn to give a small presentation on the LWW Education piece, Surpris introduced me. I am not sure what he said, but he was moved to tears, and suddenly everyone arose and applauded. I have never received a standing ovation in my life...especially before talking! It was a humbling moment, receiving praise from a group of people I love and admire so much.

At lunch, we sat outside and enjoyed the view of the "most beautiful sea in the world." Did you know Jacques Cousteau thought the Haitian Sea was the "most beautiful sea in the world?" At least that's what Surpris tells me. :)

Two Pastors filled with the Spirit
We went on a survey following lunch, and Tom and I took time to discuss the following day's activities. Pastor Evens asked Pastor Tom to preach on Sunday morning. He's already got a great sermon going...and I'm going to read the lyrics to "God of this City" by Chris Tomlin. It seems to fit perfectly with what he will be saying.

Tonight's devotion was on "HOPE". Where did you see "hope" today? I found hope in Chris Tomlin's song...  There truly are greater things yet to be done in this city, in this country, and in this world. I am surely thankful to be a part of it and thankful to be a part of this "Family of God." Today was an amazing family reunion.



Charles, Ancy & Valdes = Haitian Family
The beach at Montrouis




You're the God of this City 
You're the King of these people 

You're the Lord of this nation 
You are 

You're the Light in this darkness 
You're the Hope to the hopeless 
You're the Peace to the restless 
You are 

There is no one like our God 
There is no one like our God 

For greater things have yet to come 
And greater things are still to be done in this City 
Greater thing have yet to come 
And greater things are still to be done in this City 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet