Thursday, January 20, 2011

Haiti Day #6 - January 16, 2011


Thanks of the Day: Clean Water for all God's Children

Today was the day we had all been waiting for since July 5, 2009! Clean Water was distributed for the first time from the Living Waters For The World system in Blanket, Haiti. It was a sight to see.

Blanket Baptist Church
From the moment we arrived in Blanket, we experienced pure joy. Pastor Evens greeted us with excitement and warmth. The members of the church had already arrived, and the service was beginning. I was brought to tears almost immediately when a group of young adults, many of which had been in the education class, came up to sing "Here I Am To Worship" in French...and English. It was quite possibly the most beautiful singing I have ever heard.

Pastor Evens called me up front, and I whole-heartedly introduced the best team to have ever come to Haiti. One by one, they came up front and I was overcome with gratitude and humility. They had come to Haiti because of my excitement for a specific project, which they completed with gusto, and now they were being celebrated by a community who will call them "heroes" forever.

Pastor Evens enjoying clean water!
Tom preached a Sermon, which brought many "amens" from the congregants. His words were spirit-breathed, and we sat in awe. (You can hear it by clicking on the link "sermon".)  We were able to give out certificates of achievement to those who completed the education class and those who were trained as operators. Then we were surprised to learn that Pastor Evens and his church had made each of us certificates to thank us for our work. Truly a humbling moment.

Following the worship service, we gathered outside and the first cups of clean water were distributed to Blanket. Again, it brought me to tears. On the back of the building, the artist drew a water bottle with the slogan "Water is Life." Clean water truly is medicine, and now the community of Blanket will not have to live without this medicine.


We left Blanket today with many tears and many smiles. I know I will be back in March to visit, but I was so sad to leave my family. Even Ashley the Goat seemed flustered and sad...she was stubborn and restless! 

We made one last stop before leaving the mountain. During our drive every morning, we drove up a long and winding road to reach the top. The view is magnificent, and it called for a "group picture". I am so thankful for this group. They made my dream a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet