Thursday, June 30, 2011

Summer Haiti Mission Trip ~ Day 4

Chuck, Father Guy & Bob in Decouze
 Prayer Partner of the Day - Sally Block

Yesterday, I posted on facebook, "I've been chased by a peacock, sat thru a three hour worship service & sweated more than the last three months put together! Thankfully I can run fast, and now I feel closer to God and have beautiful shiny skin! It's great to be home in Haiti!" And that still rings true today!

The day started epically. I awoke early, and sat in my room quietly reading during morning prayers. As Bob passed by my room, he said we were leaving soon. I was awaiting the shower, and he assured me he had fixed the other shower. So I got in, and sure enough, the water came out. Ran it long enough to get wet. Turned it off, soaped up, and then... You know what happened... The water wouldn't come back on. In fact, the knob came off in my hand. It was an epic tale... I quietly hollered over the wall..."can anyone hear me?!" Sure enough, someone could, and they brought me a screwdriver to put the knob back on. Life was again good, and we were on the road to Decouze before 7am.

I rode over to our site with Brothers Olizard and Alabre. We had quite the sing-a-long, including "We Are The World," sung in harmony!

We arrived at St. Michael's Parish and were warmly welcomed by Father Guy. Chuck, Bob, and I are a well-oiled machine and quickly included our two new team members. We kicked into gear once arriving on site. We each had a partner, and off we went! We had the water running to the board from the reservoir, clean water running to the tank, and the recirculating configured. The board was mounted & completely plumbed by noon. With the exception of a cracked trash filter, we could have been producing clean water by 1pm! However, we took the afternoon off, relaxed at the beach and now we're back at the monastery, and looking forward to completing our project tomorrow.

Dedicated to the HUMC Team!
Yesterday  was fortunate to have a mango fall off the tree right beside me... Is there anything better than fresh mango? Juices running down my arms, mango stuck in my teeth! It was divine! Today fresh coconut was on God's menu, straight from the tree. Mmm...coconut water! It, too, was divine.

A special shout out to today's prayer partner -- Sally Block! As a Haiti-alum, she has been texting with wisdom and words of encouragement hourly. I am so thankful to be a part of her family! Hey Sal -- can you pray for me to "drop a few pounds?!" Okay, thanks!

Again, we thank everyone for your prayers. We couldn't do it without you!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an amazing day. And the answer is NO- there is NOTHING better than fresh mango!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't tell me you fell for the old "yeah we fixed the shower" trick.

    ReplyDelete

Maundy Thursday: Give Me Those Feet